What is an ERO?
ERO stands for Electronic Return Originator. This is the individual that originates the electronic submission of a return to the IRS. The ERO is usually the first point of contact for most taxpayers filing a return using IRS e-file.
Capturing the ERO signature in the tax software can be done in multiple ways, but for this tutorial we will be explaining the process using our Cloud Client and Signature Pad.
Typically, the Manager is designated as the ERO in a tax office. The ERO signature will be on every e-filed tax return in the office no matter who the designated paid preparer is.
An actual compatible signature pad must be connected and installed on the device (pc or laptop) before capturing signatures.
Steps to capture ERO signature
1. Login to the Tax Software
2. In the Work In Progress (WIP) screen, in the upper left-hand side, you will see the Database Menu. Click Database and select the EF Originators option.
3. Select the EFIN and choose Edit
4. On the Electronic Return Originator window, select Capture Signature
5. Do NOT click on the Message stating:
Sign the signature in Client software then press OK to continue
6. Click on the active Cloud Client icon from your taskbar along the bottom of your screen
7. Select Remote Request from the Cloud Client options
8. Select the request from the Cloud Remote Request Queue window
9. Sign the signature pad and click Accept
10. Return to the tax software by selecting the active tax software icon located on your taskbar
11. Now, you can select "OK" on the Message referred to earlier in step 5
12. The signature should now be captured and displayed at the bottom of the ERO window
13. Click Save
Reminder: this ERO signature will be present on all tax returns electronically filed in this EFIN. Make sure to update this signature if the individual designated is no longer involved.
Warning: If you receive the message below, this is because the connection from the cloud-based software and the remote request is slow. Please Close the software/cloud client and restart the process.