What you will need to check the status of a refund:
- Social Security Number or ITIN
- Filing Status
- Exact Refund Amount
Where's My Refund? is updated no more than once every 24 hours, usually overnight by the IRS.
When to check status of refund:
- Within 24 hours after the IRS received the e-filed tax return; or
- 4 weeks after mailing a paper return
When the IRS processes a tax return and approves the refund, you can see the actual personalized refund date. Even though the IRS issues most refunds in less than 21 days after they receive the tax return, it's possible the tax return may require additional review and take longer.
You should only call the IRS if it has been:
- 21 days or more since you filed electronically
- More than 6 weeks since you mailed your paper return; or
- The Where's My Refund? tool directs you to contact them
CTTS is not affiliated or associated with the IRS or irs.gov